Before I get into the technical side of my process, I just want to explain that this was my first time working in After Effects. I had briefly dabbled in it before, but had never created a project from scratched. That now disclaimed, I’ll continue.
I know this is odd, but I didn’t have storyboards. A lot of what I do isn’t hard to conceptualize and I am a person that often times doesn’t need to have storyboards. I knew how I wanted my piece to look and how I wanted it to feel already. So I went ahead and started building.
Once I found the all the necessary footage that I needed, which is all royalty free, I began to build a very rough back ground for my text. After that, I went ahead and recorded the audio and some video of my own lips speaking the poem. Once that was complete, I imported both the audio and footage, but after I tried to use the RotoBrush in After Effects, I didn’t like the way it was looking. So I scraped the footage and just used audio. I edited the audio in Final Cut Pro, because this is a software that I am very familiar with and knew that it would be easy for me to edit the audio on this platform. I know that AE is not really used for audio editing at all. So once I had all the audio taken care of, I finished my project in AE by fine tuning the visual cues and audio cues. Once that was all completed, I took the project back into final cut and added the text.
I’ll add the piece later once I upload it to youtube.